Sunday, February 20, 2011

A2O Question of the week

What motivates you when you do not feel motivated?

What motivates me is having specific measurable goals that have a deadline. The other motivating factor is being accountable not only to myself but to others. When I set my goals, I tell everyone so that they will hold me accountable not just on race day, but on cold Monday mornings in February too. I think that is why running has been so wonderful for me. When I sign up for a race, it addresses these items with an added bonus. This was my goal for the first race I ever ran:


Run the Dry Creek Half Marathon– specific
13.1 – measureable
In under 2 hours – specific and measureable
On April 3rd, 2010 – deadline
Tell everyone who will listen and ask for support – accountability
Paying the entry fee – The Added Bonus

When I set this goal, I knew that to achieve it I would have to have a plan. So I put together a schedule that I felt like if I followed would prepare me for that day. There were days I didn’t feel as motivated as others but what got me moving each day was the deadline and the accountability. I say paying the entry fee is an added bonus because once I actually paid the entry fee it motivated me to get started right away! I finished the Dry Creek half marathon last year in 1 hour 51 minutes and met my goal.

This quote helps me some days too….. "There is no glory in practice, but without practice, there is no glory...” Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...