Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston Marathon Reflections

Yesterday started like most days for me.  I got up at 4am, got my running gear together, and headed out for a run.  I met Derek and we ran 9 miles around Polecat loop here in Boise.  Since it was Patriot's Day I thought it would be appropriate to don the Boston Marathon shirt from when I ran back in 2011.  The run was fluid, relaxing, and we even PR'd by 6 minutes surprisingly.

After I got to work I hung my shirt in my office to dry out and listened to some of the coverage of the race.  Hearing the commentators descriptions of the sights and sounds brought back the feeling of that day.  It was in the 50's, wind at our back the entire way, crowds so crazy there was rarely a break in the cheering.  I stared at the shirt and just smiled a silly smile.

I tracked a number of friends and acquaintances on the athlete tracker online and then stopped paying attention.  Then I started to get calls and emails from people wondering if I was there or knew people there.  No? I am in Boise why?  There was a bombing at the finish line.

I spent quite some time trying to take it all in and make sense of it all.  Which of course is impossible, because there is no logical reason for such a cowardly and ruthless act.  I pray that those who were injured or lost loved one will be able to heal from this heartbreaking event.

As I have been thinking about this today one thing has been coming back around.  This terrible thing robbed so many people of one of the happiest moments of their life that they may never have the opportunity to experience again.  My finish line moment took place 50 feet from the second explosion.  This day, for the runners on the course, was supposed to be a celebration of hard work, dedication, and giving it everything they had.  Instead, it will be remembered for the wrong reasons.

Let us never forget those lost and injured.  Be thankful for those on scene police officers, doctors, nurses and countless volunteers who risked their own safety to attend to the needs of others which ultimately saved a number of lives.

By the end of the day, my silly smile had been replaced with sadness and a blank stare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...