Friday, June 13, 2014

Three Bears from Mountain Cove

This was a great mental run, but physically this is the worst I have EVER felt on a run...gut wise.  Great because this is why I train.  To figure out what works and what doesn't.

What doesn't?

  • Eating a salad with feta and italian and raviolis.  
  • I also had some peanuts which I think were the real problem since fat is hard to digest.  
  • I don't normally run in the evening so my body was in unknown territory.  
  • I have been growing a beard and mustache and when I drink my Tailwind it gets sticky and drives me nuts (it needs a serious trim or a hack job).  
  • I need to take chapstick. 
  • I need to take a bandana to control the constant river of sweat. 
  • 30 oz of water per hour on a 90 degree day is not enough.

What did work?

  • I took my UltrAspire Alpha pack and filled it to the rim with only ice before I left.  As the ice slowly melted the pack acted like a icy little radiator on my back.  At the top of the 2000-ish foot climb when the temps were the highest I had goosebumps and was shivering.  
  • I had two handhelds with 2 scoops of Tailwind filled with ice and topped with water.  The ice melted soon enough so the mix was just right.
  • Pearl iZumi Ultra Split Shorts are the best running shorts ever.  Light, airy, a zipper you can operate with one hand *easily*, and two gel pockets to put various things. Love them!


I ended up walking all the downhill because I had such a gut bomb.  I know this is crazy but it was a good thing to have.  First to realize what eating certain things at certain times does to me. Second, no gut bomb lasts forever if you recognize it and take care of it.  I was still taking fluids to aid digestion and I walked the downhill to allow some time for it to work itself out which was painful on my brain.  I had to stop occasionally and hold my hands over my head to get the twisting pain in my insides to go away.  Like all things, it slowly passed and by the end I was able to manage a shuffle.  After feeling like I was kicked in the stomach the whole way I was reminded that my 'worst day ever' pace was still well under 24 hour pace even with the walking so I can't complain.  I have never had a serious gut bomb in a race or training so it was a good opportunity to work through it.


The highlight of the run was passing bikers on the uphills. Yesterday there was a group of young riders with a coach or parent and I passed the adult and then 3 of the kids.  When I got to the last kid I heard the adult say, 'You can't let a runner beat you!'...and then I passed him! Too funny.


3 comments:

  1. Amazing beauty captured in those photos!!!! WOW! You're going to rock Western States!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Second try at sending my comment)
    Way to go, Ryan! It's so fun to read about your adventures in running. I have questions about giving up sugar. How did you do it when you first began your journey? I need to drop a lot of weight . . . 135 pounds to be exact. I have a great plan for working out and eating, but I just feel dogged by sweets. For me, it really feels like it has to be all or nothing, because I am triggered so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started I wasn't much of a sweets guy anyway so it was different for me. My weakness was salty fatty stuff like fries and potato chips. I had to pretty much give up on those things completely. As for sugar, I started going completely without but that got boring so I started using splenda. I have read good and bad things about it but it helps me get by with my coffee and sprinkled over fruit. Another trick is having fruit. Look for fruit that is low on the glycemic index so it doesn't spike your blood sugar. Bananas are high GI foods and blueberries are low GI fruits just for an example. At least with fruit you satisfy the sweet craving without going too overboard.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...